Monday, July 2, 2012

Differing Tastes: TV in our House

The following post (after the break) was written back in May, and it outlines the differing tastes in tv that my wife and I have.  However, the point of this post is now moot.

Today, I called charter and cancelled our service.  I kept our internet, we will still have Netflix, plus any streaming options we can find to watch on the computer, but tv watching as we have known it is no longer an option.  Since we have our own computers/mobile devices/etc to watch tv on, this entire post is not as relevant to us anymore.

Why did I cut the cord?  The bill increased about 20% from last month to this month.  $65 a month for internet and $75 for tv.  I remember when I was young, watching tv from the floor at my grandparents' house - about once an hour there would be an add for cable TV - Only a dollar a day.  This little kid would run outside, throw a silver dollar up into the air, run inside and sit down to watch TV.  Whatever happened to those days?

The next post will be an update on our debt snowball, as well as an update on our goal for our first anniversary - paying off our car.  The $100 a month we started saving today is going to help make that goal substantially more attainable.




My favorite shows:

  • Tosh.0
  • South Park
  • The Office
  • Community
  • Parks and Rec
  • Modern Family
My wife's favorite shows:
  • Dance Moms
  • Teen Mom
  • The Bachelor
  • The Bachelorette
  • The Voice
I could keep going, but you see the point.  My wife and I have VASTLY different taste in tv.  Who doesn't enjoy sitting down in the evening for a few tv shows?  

As a newly married couple, how do we navigate this?  Well, I could either make her sit through some of the crudest, awkward an inappropriate shows on television, or she could make me sit through whining, irrational fake tv.  Neither one of us is going to have a very good time.

DVR and on demand have been obviously been helpful, but technology is not the only answer.  Right now, our schedules don't allow much time (at least during the academic year) where we are both at home in the evenings.

The solution is compromise.  We have found tv shows that we both like, albeit a little less than the shows we would prefer to watch.  The other solution we have found is to just watch the shows we want.  It is ok for me to watch the Bachelorette (but probably not Dance Moms).  Likewise, Aleece is fine with watching Modern Family (but not Tosh.0).  The the wonder of DVR, we can shift the times we watch the undesirable shows to times when the other one is either not home or working on something else.

And guys, you have no idea how much relationship capital can be gained by sitting through an episode of her favorite show.  She knows you can't stand it, but know that you are sitting through it because she loves it.  Sacrificing for your partner can be a fantastic way to build your relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment