Saturday, May 12, 2012

5 Questions to Ask Before You Propose



Thinking about proposing is scary.
Picking out a ring is terrifying.
But when you propose to the right girl for the right reasons the terror becomes exhilarating.  Or it just stays terror.
My wife and I had vaguely talked about being married at some point.  So I did not think it would be a big shock to her when I pulled a ring box out of my pocket.  I was wrong.
Don’t misunderstand, she was excited.  But she was so caught off guard that she didn’t say yes right away.  I assumed that her immediate embrace counted as a “yes,” but that little terrified voice I met when picking out a ring returned for 30 seconds until I said, “Well?”
She obviously said yes, and this is only a small part of our proposal story.  If you think you want to propose to your girlfriend, here are a few things to consider:
1. Will you love her, no matter what she says or does?
2. Are you be willing to be her partner?
3.  Are you on the same page financially?
4.  Have you fought?  How did you resolve it?
5.  Is there anyone else you would even think wanting “one more date” with?
Answer key
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes. With maturity and wisdom.  We set emotions aside and focused on reason, and one or both of us admitted to being wrong - but it is ok because even if you are wrong she still loves you.
5. No.  If there is even the tiniest shadow of a doubt on this one, you are not ready to propose.

No comments:

Post a Comment